Friday, April 23, 2010

Frugal Friday




I know, I know, there is a foot of snow on the ground and they are calling for more in the coming week and here I am posting gardening projects. I have faith that someday it will be spring and we will be able to get in our gardens. I just don't know when that day will be!

That being the case, I will make today's post short, but sweet. The above picture, which Jeanne from Suffolk in the UK, was kind enough to let me use, represents this weeks gardening tip. I especially liked this picture because up until now I had only seen old wheelbarrows filled with dirt and planted like a planter. This picture shows how you can use old galvanzied containers (actually any type of pots would work for this)and fill the wheelbarrow with pots instead of just planting it outright.

Not only does this look adorable, but it is the perfect solution for those who wish to grow some veggies in containers. You can then wheel them around to take advantage of the sun throughout the day. This might work really well for those with very shady gardens. Personally at my home, the driveway gets a lot of the sun that would be great for growing veggies. However, removing it doesn't seem like a very practical idea!

If you don't have any old galvanized containers, they are easily obtainable. You can check yard sale, Craigslist, eBay and thrift shops. If worse comes to worse you can usually pick them up new at feed stores and they ocassionally have used ones as well. It isn't hard to get this "look" and it would definately fit in with our rustic backdrop of the forest here in Pine Cove.

No comments: