Monday, November 21, 2011

Cold Frames & Greenhouses

The early snows this year have given me serious greenhouse envy.  I had a lot of tomatoes still on the vines when the first snow hit and killed everything off.  I can't help but think that if I had some sort of a greenhouse, I could have saved those tomatoes.  Now when I pass a yard with a greenhouse in it, I get seriously jealous.

Mother Nature sure likes to give us gardening challenges here in Pine Cove.  And each year I try to outsmart her just a little more, with varying degrees of success.  At my current residence, I have large, in the ground gardens so building green houses over them would be very expensive and time consuming. Plus they get the hot afternoon sun and in the summer it would be a constant battle to keep them from frying the plants.  If they were portable, they would be so big that storing them would be a problem.  But as luck would have it, I will be moving shortly and starting all over with a new garden.  So this time I am going to garden smarter, not harder.

Being a tad over 40, my knees and various other joints now protest when I spend too much time bent over or kneeling down tending to garden chores.  So in order to continue gardening well into my fast approaching golden years, I have decided to make all raised bed gardens at my new house.  What doesn't fit in the raised beds will go into containers (on platforms with wheels for easy moving) or window boxes. 

But of course, it doesn't stop there.  My greenhouse envy now has me pondering how to make either greenhouses or cold frames to fit over the raised beds.  If I am going to go to all the trouble of building raised beds, I might as well install some sort of greenhouse protection as well.  I am going to do some research and report back here.  I am not sure what exactly I will come up with, but  I will also post pictures when my projects get underway.  In the meantime, I have to go out and dig up my now frozen and dead tomato plants out of my current garden.

No comments: