Monday, August 2, 2010

The Pine Cove Conservation Cafe

I am announcing a new feature on the blog that I hope will go over well. It is the Pine Cove Conservation Cafe. It is all about water saving tips that our customers are using in their homes and gardens. Do you have a great water saving tip? If so, send it in to us at pcwd2675@yahoo.com and I will post it here on the blog. Have pictures of your garden? Send them in and I will post them also.

Just make sure you send your name, street address and what the picture is of. We love to see what is going on in the gardens around Pine Cove. I will start off by posting some pictures of my garden, which is located at 25150 Marion Ridge Dr. within the next couple of days.

Some things I have been doing in my garden are adding compost to the soil for several years now to improve the soil and it's water retaining abilities. I am also using the free mulch we have availabe here at the water district to reduce watering and help retain moisture. I am watering in the evening or in the early morning to avoid mid day evaportation and I have started adding soaker hoses and will eventually move up to a drip irrigation system. I have also started a compost pile, but I need to be more diligent with it as it is just kind of sitting there. I plan to go out and turn it and add some water to it this week and see if I can get it going. I will try to get some horse manure to add to it as well. That usually helps it heat up.

So get out into your yard and take some pictures and send them in. We look forward
to seeing what is happening the the gardens of Pine Covers.

No comments: