Friday, April 22, 2011

More Frugal Friday

Here is a Frugal Friday gardening tip for all the gardeners and cooks out there.  Grow your own herbs!  I have been doing this for years so I was not up on the prices of buying them in the little jars in the grocery stores.  Once I had a look, I was shocked!  Wow,  if you figured out the cost per pound, it would be astronomical!

Luckily, I have been growing my own herbs for several years now.  The good news is that they are fairly easy to grow and just about anyone can grow some herbs.  You can grow them in your garden, in containers or even on your window sill.  What I do is grow them over the summer out in the garden, then harvest them, dry them and then use them throughout the winter.  However, I didn't realize how much money I was saving. Even though some of my herbs I buy as potted plants, such as basil, it is still worth it to grow your own.  Several can be easily grown from seed as well and some, such as rosemary, mint and  chives, come back year after year.  So this works out really well for me.

Another benefit is that the fresh, home grown herbs taste incredible and smell fabulous out in the garden. I love being able to go out my back door into the garden and gather a sprig of rosemary for my chicken, some basil leaves for my spaghetti sauce and a leaf of mint for my iced tea.  And in the dead of winter, I love being able to cook with herbs that I grew over the summer and dried.  It brings memories of those summer afternoons in the garden during the cold winter days.

No comments: