Friday, May 21, 2010

Frugal Fridays

It is now after Mother's Day, so I am hoping it is safe to start planting. I have lettuce coming up as well as peas. I put 4 cucumber plants in and one kicked the bucket already, so I am hoping the other 3 hang in there. I have had to cover them several days and nights. I am chomping at the bit to get everything in.

I am also chomping at the bit to get started on some garden projects. My first one is a fairy chair. I found an old wooden chair from the thrift shop in the village. I lined the seat with wire and planted it. I put one strawberry plant in the front and filled the rest with morning glory seeds. I love morning glories and I am hoping they actually grow. The chair is in a sunny spot, but that means the soil is going to dry out very quickly. Once the seeds sprout and are a few inches tall, I will mulch the whole planter to help retain the moisture. Once the morning glories come up, they will grow up and over the chair and down and around the legs and through the garden. It should look very nice.

I did spray paint the chair green prior to planting it. I am hoping that the chair blends in with the plants and it will eventually look like the morning glories are floating in air. Since the garden the chair sits in is full of mint and vinca, there isn't much flower action going on there. So the morning glories will give the mint garden a shot of color all summer long. Stay tuned for pictures.

No comments: