Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Therapeutic Gardening Continued

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
~ John Burroughs

continued from previous post......

So we now know that being a gardener is therapeutic. It gets you out in the fresh air, clears your head, gives you some physical exercise, helps you to socialize, provides beauty to you and your neighborhood and gives the birds and wildlife food and shelter. But what about people who can't get out and garden or who have no place to garden? Well, they should visit a garden of course! The garden shares it benefits not only with those who plant and tend her, but with everyone who comes in contact with her.

I am constantly amazed at the amount of people who see me out and about and stop me to tell me how much they enjoy my garden. At first I thought that odd, but then it dawned on me that I am gardening not only for myself, but for everyone else as well. My garden touches everyone who looks at it. It is my hope that my garden will bring joy to everyone who sees it. Personally I can't think of anywhere I would rather go than a garden.

So the moral of this story is that if you are feeling poorly or stressed out, get outside and into a garden. Talk a walk in the woods and let nature work it's magic on you. Consider taking up gardening. If you live off the hill, do you really need all that grass? Dig it up and start a wonderful, therapeutic garden for yourself. With so many plant options, there is a style of garden for every person and every climate. So give it a try and see if it doesn't put your senses in order!

No comments: